Monday, October 6, 2008

Hollandaise Sauce

Once upon a time, when I was still thinking that I wanted to open a restaurant, I spent many a drive home daydreaming about what I would serve. As weekend brunch is one of my favorite meals, I developed an elaborate plan that would differentiate my brunch from all of the other amazing brunches in Portland. My favorite ideas was a "Build Your Own Benedict" menu. I mean think about it. Everyone has a traditional eggs benedict: Canadian bacon, poached egg, english muffin, hollandaise sauce. Very boring...although that doesn't stop me from ordering it. I was imaginging having a choice of breads: English muffin (of course), crumpets, toasted biscuit, fresh baked rye bread and so on and so forth. A plethora of meats: Canadian Bacon (of course), smoked salmon, pate, etc. etc. etc. And veggies...oh the veggies. Tomato, avacado, asparagus, artichoke hearts, spinach. Slather the combo in hollandaise sauce and YAHTZEE!

The only thing that keeps most people from doing this at home is the hollandaise. It's seems like it's a really hard thing to make, but rest assured, it's super simple, and it makes for a great homemade breakfast on a lazy Sunday morning.



Inspiration: A wild hair to make an atypical sat morning breakfast (Usually, I put PB on toast)
Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Special Equipment: Double boiler
Servings: 4-5 benedicts

Ingredients:
3 egg yolks
1 teapsoon water
1/4 teaspoon sugar
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Pour 1-inch of water into the base of a double boiler; over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low.

2. Place egg yolks and 1 teaspoon water in the top half of a double boiler and whisk until mixture lightens in color, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugar and whisk for another 30 seconds.

3. Place the top half of the double boiler on top of the other half that has the simmering water and whisk constantly for 3 to 5 minutes, or until there is a clear line that is drawn in the mixture when you pull your whisk through, or the mixture coats the back of a spoon.

4. Remove the top half of the double boiler and gradually add the butter, 1 piece at a time, and whisk until all of the butter is incorporated. Place it back over the simmering water occasionally so that it will be warm enough the melt the butter. Add the salt, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Serve immediately.

Note: if you don't have a douple boiler, a metal or glass mixing bowl over a pot of water works just as well.

No comments: